Petitioning for In-State Tuition Classification

The state of Colorado partially subsidizes the cost of tuition for all students whose domicile, or permanent legal residence, is in Colorado. Each CSM student is classified as either an “in-state resident” or a “non-resident” at the time of matriculation. These classifications are based upon information furnished by each student on his or her application for admission to CSM.
The specific requirements for establishing residency for tuition classification purposes are prescribed by state law (Colorado Revised Statutes § 23-7-101, et seq.). Because Colorado law governs Colorado residency status, the fact that a student might not qualify for in-state status in any other state does not guarantee in-state status in Colorado. Moreover, it is presumed that a student classified as a non-resident at the time of matriculation who seeks to establish Colorado domicile while registered at CSM seeks Colorado domicile not solely for tuition purposes. The student can rebut this presumption and be deemed an in-state resident only by a showing of clear and convincing evidence of his or her eligibility for this status.

A continuing, non-resident student who believes that he or she has become eligible for in-state tuition due to events that have occurred subsequent to his or her initial enrollment may file a Petition for In-State Tuition Classification with the Registrar’s Office. This petition is due in the Registrar’s Office no later than the first day of the semester for which the student is requesting in-state residency status, please make sure that the application is notarized prior to submission. The registrar will make the initial decision regarding the student’s eligibility for in-state status. This decision can be appealed by petition to the Tuition Classification Review committee.

In order for a student to be granted In-State Tuition Classification, the student must show proof of emancipation (self-support) and proof of domicile (that the student has lived in Colorado and intends to continue doing so) for at least twelve months. Following is the information required to provide proof of emancipation and proof of domicile.

The required information for proof of emancipation is:

  • The student is over the age of 23, or
  • The student is a graduate student, or
  • The student can provide proof of self-support or legal emancipation for one full calendar year, or
  • The student is married

The required information for proof of domicile is:

  • Lease agreements, deeds showing purchase of a house, or canceled checks from rent or mortgage payments showing that the student has been living in Colorado for the past twelve months.
  • Payment of Colorado income tax.
  • Employment in Colorado (other than that normally provided to students on a temporary basis by CSM or other temporary employment).
  • Graduation from a high school located in Colorado.
  • Continued residence in the state of Colorado during periods when not enrolled as a student or during periods between academic sessions.
  • Acceptance of future permanent employment in the state of Colorado.
  • Vehicle registration in Colorado.
  • Voter registration in Colorado.
  • A driver's license issued in the state of Colorado.

All of this supporting documentation must be submitted in conjunction with the Petition for In-State Tuition Classification, available herePDF versionText only version. The petition must be submitted directly to the Registrar's Office, and must be notarized before it can be accepted.

Once the petition has been submitted to the Registrar's Office, it will be reviewed and a decision will be made. The Registrar, Lara Medley, will review the petitions and e-mails will be sent to students, typically four to six weeks after the petition has been submitted, and let the student know the decision regarding his or her tuition classification. If the Petition is denied, the decision can be appealed and instructions on doing so will be attached to the e-mail.

Students are required to pay the tuition rate based on their residency status at the time of the normal tuition/fee due date. Please see for further information. If a student is awarded In-State classification after this date, the tuition rate will be adjusted and the student can submit a Refund Request FormPDF versionText only version to have the difference refunded to them.

Contact Information

Registrar's Office
Student Center E280
1200 16th Street
Golden, CO 80401

P: 303-273-3200
F: 303-384-2253

 Follow us on Twitter