Al Funds Balance Report (AFBR): Cognos – Direct Access Login and Report Functionality
1. Open Cognos Production from Trailhead button or go to:
https://cognos.mines.edu/ibmcognos/cgi-bin/cognos.cgi and login with your Trailhead
[note: when using an off-campus network, VPN connection is required to run Cognos; preferred
methods include secure.mines.edu or OpenVPN.]
2. Locate the AFBR by fol owing this folder path: Public Folders > Finance > General Campus >
Controller Campus > AFBR
3. Run report by clicking the “play” sign next to the report titled “AFBR-level-1-summary”
4. Leave all default selections and click ‘Run’
5. Select a name from list of values (pulldown) and click ‘Finish.’ HINT: You can type the first few
letters of last name to find pul down proximity.
6. The Al Funds Balance Report will run and data will populate for all funds for which a user is listed
as either a PI, Co-PI (Grants) or Fund Financial Manager.
7. Clicking on the hyperlinked Fund number wil dril down into a Fund Balance Summary.
8. To return to the main page, or run the report for a new user, use the ‘Home’ hyperlink at top
right of page or use your browser back button. [note: too much back and forward navigation
using browser may result in returning to a previously tested and cached username]
9. From the main page, select the blue arrow at top right of the window to select a new user and
run the report again.
[note: do not re-run the report from the secondary page, as it will generate a prompt dialog for
username and for the fund number. Cancel out of that dialog if necessary, and use the ‘Return to
Summary’ link before re-running the report for a new user. ]
10. From the Fund Summary page, clicking on an activity amount will drill down into detail for that
11. For all activity details for all accounts, click on ‘Detail’ at page top, from the Fund Activity page (or
from the Fund Summary page). All transaction level detail for the life of the fund – whether
inception-to-date, or all active Fiscal Years – will be displayed. This may take close to a minute to
load, depending on the scale of the fund.
12. The All Detail screen allows the user to select activity timeframe and/or account to narrow the
13. If no results are found, select a different account, select new dates, or reset the default dates.
14. Other Report Functions:
a. Export to PDF and Excel – Clicking either of these options at top right of the report
window wil open up a new browser window and export the information into either
format. [note: some browsers will require you to first disable Pop-Up blocking.]
b. Multiple pages – if data exceeds the length of the page, Cognos Page Up and Page Down
functionality will appear at bottom left of the report window. Use these functions to
navigate between pages.
15. For general help with the report, please see the Al Funds Balance Report FAQ page. For help with
Sponsored Research funds, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For help with all other funds, contact the
Controller's Office at CO-Accounting@mines.edu.