Hiring Excellence Plan 2017-2018
Candidate Review and PageUp guide.
1. Al committee members attend Hiring Excellence training. Contact Deb Wernli or Michelle Darveau to schedule.
2. Pass/Fail (Optional) - Chair and one other committee member review for Pass/Fail. Request “Hiring Manager” (HM)
change the disposition of the failing applicants to “Pass Fail Unsuccessful” which generates an email informing them that
they are no longer being considered.
3. Ful Committee Review -Each committee member reviews applications using the Materials Review Rubric. The
summary of the scoring from the rubric should be uploaded into PageUp by the HM. Meet to establish short-list of
candidates. Inform HM of applicants not moving forward so that HM can change their status. You may leave some
candidates in “New” status if you are not yet ready to dismiss them. Please be mindful of the candidate experience by
not leaving candidates wondering about their status.
4. Phone interviews (Optional) - Use the Phone/In-person Interview rubric for scoring. Use a standard list of behaviorally
based questions for each interview. (NOTE: The HM can create the phone interview time slots in PageUp and invite the
5. Reference Letters – HM can utilize PageUp’s reference letter upload feature to obtain letters.
6. On Campus Interviews -Use the Phone/In-person Interview rubric for scoring. Use a standard list of behaviorally
based questions for each interview. (NOTE: The HM can create interview time slots in PageUp and invite the applicants.)
If your Col ege requires written approval of the interview recommendation by the Dean, then obtain that approval.
7. Finalist recommendation - When final candidate has been identified, assure reference checks are completed. Write
recommendation memo to DHDD, College Dean (if applicable). The Provost and President must meet and approve the
final candidate before an offer is made. Request HM change the status of those candidates no longer being
8. Offers - HM initiates the offer process by placing the finalist in the status of “Pre-Offer Salary Request” and then
completing the offer card for approvals. Once the offer has been approved, a verbal offer can be made, fol owed by the
formal offer letter. Academic Affairs approves and prepares/sends the offer letter for ALL administrative and academic
faculty in departments that report to Academic Affairs.
9. Closing the search - Make sure that every applicant has been changed to a final disposition and has been notified of
their status. Chair or HM must attach any search documentation not already contained in PageUp to the job. This would
include the fol owing: committee scoring/ranking report, copies of Rubrics and scoring summaries, copies of
correspondence sent to candidates outside of PageUp, interview questions and/or notes from each committee member,
any notes generated by the committee in the decision-making process, recommendation memos, etc.
Al steps must be completed in order to meet record keeping requirements.