Petitioning for In-State Tuition Classification
A continuing, non-resident student who believes that he or she has become eligible for in-state tuition due to events that have occurred subsequent to his or her initial enrollment may file a Petition for In-State Tuition Classification with the Registrar’s Office. This petition is due in the Registrar’s Office no later than the first day of the semester for which the student is requesting in-state residency status, please make sure that the application is notarized prior to submission. The registrar will make the initial decision regarding the student’s eligibility for in-state status. This decision can be appealed by petition to the Tuition Classification Review committee.
In order for a student to be granted In-State Tuition Classification, the student must show proof of emancipation (self-support) and proof of domicile (that the student has lived in Colorado and intends to continue doing so) for at least twelve months. Following is the information required to provide proof of emancipation and proof of domicile.
The required information for proof of emancipation is:
- The student is over the age of 23, or
- The student is a graduate student, or
- The student can provide proof of self-support or legal emancipation for one full calendar year, or
- The student is married
The required information for proof of domicile is:
- Lease agreements deeds showing purchase of a house, or canceled checks from rent or mortgage payments showing that the student has been living in Colorado for the past twelve months.
- Payment of Colorado income tax.
- Employment in Colorado (other than that normally provided to students on a temporary basis by Mines or other temporary employment).
- Graduation from a high school located in Colorado.
- Continued residence in the state of Colorado during periods when not enrolled as a student or during periods between academic sessions.
- Acceptance of future permanent employment in the state of Colorado.
- Vehicle registration in Colorado.
- Voter registration in Colorado.
- A driver's license issued in the state of Colorado.
All of this supporting documentation must be submitted in conjunction with the Petition for In-State Tuition Classification, available here PDF version Text only version
Text only version. The petition must be submitted directly to the Registrar's Office, and must be notarized before it can be accepted.
Once the petition has been submitted to the Registrar's Office, it will be reviewed and a decision will be made. The Registrar, Lara Medley, will review the petitions starting the first day of class and e-mails will be sent to students regarding the tuition classification decision. If the Petition is denied, the decision can be appealed and instructions on doing so will be attached to the e-mail.
Students are required to pay the tuition rate based on their residency status at the time of the normal tuition/fee due date. Please see http://inside.mines.edu/Payment-Options for further information. If a student is awarded In-State classification after this date, the tuition rate will be adjusted and the student can submit a Refund Request Form PDF version Text only version
Text only versionto have the difference refunded to them.