Waitlists are normally created for courses when the anticipated enrollment for the class is greater than the number of seats available. A waitlist allows a student to reserve a seat in the class should one become available when another student drops or when the capacity of the class is increased by the department or the instructor of the course. A student can add his or her name to the waitlist following these instructions:
- Note the CRN of the class that you want to waitlist for.
- Go to "Add & Drop Classes Worksheet" under Registration in your Self Service Trailhead menu.
- Enter the CRN and choose "Submit."
- This will cause an error message to appear that reads "CLOSED - WAITLISTED." This should be followed by a number (e.g., 001, 002, etc.). This number represents your position on the waitlist.
- There will be a drop-down menu to the right of the error message that says "Action." Change the drop-down to read "Waitlist on the Web."
- Choose "Submit." This will add your name to the waitlist for the class.
When a seat becomes available for the class, you will receive an e-mail giving you the opportunity to register for the class. This process must be completed within 24 hours of receiving the e-mail. If you do not register for the class through Trailhead within 24 hours, you will be removed from the waitlist.
Important Waitlist Facts:
- Being on a waitlist does not guarantee that you will be enrolled in the course. Be sure to check your e-mail and your schedule often to verify your enrollment.
- If there are any errors that will prevent you from being registered in the course (too many hours, time conflicts, missing prerequisites, etc.), you will not be allowed to waitlist for the course.
- If you are enrolled in a section of a course and waitlisted for a different section, you will be removed from the waitlist. If you want to be enrolled in a specific section of the course, make sure that you are waitlisted for only that section.
- The Registration Action form cannot be used to enroll in a class that has a waitlist. If you are on the waitlist for the class, the instructor must e-mail the Registrar's Office to enroll the students from the waitlist into the class.