- Associate Professor
- Division of Economics and Business
- Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401
My research focuses primarily on evaluating the economy-wide impacts of environmental regulations and the use of applied general equilibrium models to address these problems. I have written about international trade and regulatory responses to global warming, about environmental taxation and fiscal reform, and about how to model the demand for environmental quality and health in economy-wide benefit-cost assessments.
I completed a PhD in Economics at the University of Colorado at Boulder in 2003. Subsequently, I held a post-doctoral fellowship at the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics Policy at North Carolina State University from 2003 to 2005. I am also a proud graduate of Wesleyan University where I completed BA in Mathematics-Economics.
I am a member of the program committee for the Joint Institute for Strategic Energy Analyisis in the National Center for Renewable Energy.
I am a member of the steering committee for the new Rocky Mountain Research Data Center at the University of Colorado, Boulder.
I am organizing a series of workshop on modeling transitional labor dynamics from environmental regulations in economy-wide models with the US EPA, National Center for Environmental Economics.
MEE alumn, Sul-Ki Lee, successfully defended his PhD dissertation and was hired into a research analyst position at the Korean Institute for Industrial Economics and Trade. Congrats, Sul-Ki!
I currently serve as a member of the editorial council for the Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists.
- "Embodied Carbon Tariffs," with Christoph Böhringer and Thomas F. Rutherford. Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 2018, 120(1), 183-210. [Previous version appears as NBER Working Paper No. 17376. August 2011.]
- "A Shared Sense of Responsibility: Money Versus Effort Contributions in the Voluntary Provision of Public Goods," with Robert S. Gazzale. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 2017, 139, 74-87.
- "Investments in Education and Health: Policy Responses and Interactions" with Snorre Kverndokk. In K. Bolin, B. Lindren, M. Grossman, D. Gyrd-Hansen, T. Iversen, R. Kaestner, and J.L. Sindelar (Eds.). Human Capital and Health Behavior (Advances in Health Economics and Health Services Research, Volume 25), Emerald Publishing Limited, 2017, 33-83.
- "The Impacts of Unilateral Climate Policy on Competitiveness: Evidence From Computable General Equilibrium Models." with Nicholas Rivers. Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, 2017, 11(1), 24-42.
- "Going Dutch? The Impact of Oil Price Shocks on the Canadian Economy," with Kenneth J. McKenzie. Canadian Public Policy, 2016, 42(2), 168-180.
- "The Strategic Value of Carbon Tariffs," with Christoph Böhringer and Thomas F. Rutherford. American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 2016, 8(1), 28-51.
- "The Initial Incidence of a Carbon Tax across Income Groups," with Roberton C. Williams III, Hal Gordon, Dallas Burtraw and Richard D. Morgenstern. National Tax Journal, 2015, 68(1), 195-214.
- "The Initial Incidence of a Carbon Tax across U.S. States," with Roberton C. Williams III, Hal Gordon, Dallas Burtraw and Richard D. Morgenstern. National Tax Journal, 2014, 67(4), 807-830.