311e berthoud hall, 1516 illinois st, golden, co 80401
phone: +1 303.273.3822
- 2016-0000 Associate Department Head, Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2016-0000 Professor, Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at The Colorado School of Mines
- (with courtesy joint appointments in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Department of Geophysics)
- 20180000 Interim Director, Hydrologic Science and Engineering Program at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2014-2017 Associate Director, Hydrologic Science and Engineering Program at The Colorado School of Mines
- 2012-2016 Associate Professor, Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at The Colorado School of Mines
- (with a courtesy joint appointment in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering)
- 2011-2012 Associate Professor, Department of
Geosciences at The Pennsylvania State University
- 2005-2012 Associate, Earth and Environmental
Systems Institute at The Pennsylvania State University
- 2005-2011 Assistant Professor, Department of
Geosciences at The Pennsylvania State University
- 2003-2004 Lecturer, Department of Geophysics
at Stanford University
- 2003-2004 Instructor, Outdoor Education Program
at Stanford University
- 1997-2000 Student Trainee, Hydrology, Branch of Geophysics (now Hydrogeophysics Branch),
U.S. Geological Survey
awards and honors
- 2018 - Gallagher Fellow, University of Calgary
- 2018 - Fellow, Payne Institute, Colorado School of Mines
- 2014 - Faculty Fellow, McBride Honors Program, Colorado School of Mines
- 2007 - Faculty Fellow, Alliance for Earth Sciences, Engineering, and Development in Africa (AESEDA), Penn State (3 years)
- 1999 - Cecil Green Fellow, Geophysics Department, Stanford University
- environmental geophysics
- physical processes controlling solute and contaminant mass transport
- integration of geophysical imaging with flow and transport modeling
- groundwater-surface water exchange (see video from the recent CUAHSI workshop!)
- groundwater-evapotranspiration connections
- details on current and previously funded research
current student projects
recent research papers
(+=undergraduate student author, *=graduate student author, #=postdoc author; click here for full list and pdfs)
papers from 2017 and earlier
- Rey, D.M.*, Walvoord, M., Minsley, B., Rover, J., and Singha, K. (submitted). Investigating lake-area dynamics across a permafrost-thaw spectrum using airborne electromagnetic surveys and remote sensing time-series data in Yukon Flats, Alaska. Submitted to Environmental Research Letters.
- Rey, D.M.*, Singha, K. (submitted). Exploring the effects of climate change on water availability for renewable energy development in the Indian Wells Valley, California. Submitted to Journal of Hydrology-Regional Studies.
- Sherman, T.*, Foster, A.*, Bolster, D. and Singha, K. (submitted). Predicting experimental downstream concentration histories from upstream data in column experiments. Submitted to Water Resources Research.
- Malenda, H.F.*, Sutfin, N.A.#, Stauffer, S.*, Guryan. G.+, Rowland, J.C., Williams, K.H., Singha, K. (in revision). From Grain to Floodplain: Evaluating heterogeneity of floodplain hydrostatigraphy using sedimentology, geophysics, and remote sensing. Submitted to Earth Surface and Planetary Landforms.
- Voytek, E.B.*, Barnard, H., Jougnot, D., Singha, K. (in revision). Propagation of diel transpiration signals in the subsurface observed using the self-potential method. Submitted to Hydrological Processes.
- Sparacino, M.*, Rathburn, S., Covino, T., Singha, K., Ronayne, M. (in revision). Form-based river restoration decreases wetland hyporheic exchange: lessons learned from the Upper Colorado River. Submitted to Earth Surface Processes and Landforms.
- Herzog, S.P.*, Higgins, C.P., Singha, K., and McCray, J.E. (in press). Performance of engineered streambeds for inducing hyporheic transient storage and attenuation of resazurin. Submitted to Environmental Science & Technology.
- Briggs, M.A., Day-Lewis, F.D., MahmoodPoor Dehkordy, F.*, Hampton, T.*. Zarnetske, J.P., Scruggs, C.+, Singha, K., Harvey, J.W., Lane, J.W. (2018). Direct observations of hydrologic exchange occurring with less-mobile porosity and the development of anoxic microzones in sandy lakebed sediments. Water Resources Research, doi: 10.1029/2018WR022823, 16 p.
- Foks, S.S.*, Stets, E.G., Singha, K. and Clow, D.W. (2018). Influence of climate on alpine stream chemistry and water sources. Hydrological Processes, 1-16, doi: 10.1002/hyp.13124, 16 p.
- Rice, A.K.*, McCray, J.E., and Singha, K. (2018). Methane leakage from hydrocarbon wellbores into overlying groundwater: Numerical investigation of the multiphase flow processes governing migration. Water Resources Research, doi: 10.1002/2017WR021365, 17 p.
- Rice, A.K.*, Lackey, G.*, Proctor, J.+, and Singha, K. (2018). Groundwater quality hazards of methane leakage from hydrocarbon wells: A review of observational and numerical studies and four testable hypotheses. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews (WIREs) Water, doi: 10.1002/wat2.1283, 18 p.
recent abstracts (+=undergraduate student author, *=graduate student author, #=postdoc author)
recent invited talks
abstracts from 2017 and earlier
- Brooks, P.D., Barnard, H., Biederman, J., Harpold, A.A., Singha, K., Swetnam, T., Tai, X. (2018). Multi-disciplinary insights in to the effects of vegetation change on energy-water coupling at the land surface. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Swift Bird, K.*, Navarre-Sitchler, A., Singha, K. (2018). Hydrogeologic Controls of Arsenic and Uranium Mobility in Groundwater of the Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Foster, A.*, Randell, J., Trautz, A., Singha, K. (2018). Exploring controls on anomalous solute transport in 1-D column- and 3-D tank-scale experiments. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- MahmoodPoor Dehkordy, F.*, Briggs, M.A., Day-Lewis, F.D., Bagtzoglou, A.C., Singha, K., Zarnetske, J. (2018). Less-mobile exchange dynamics in porous media. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- MahmoodPoor Dehkordy, F.*, Briggs, M.A., Day-Lewis, F.D., Scruggs, C.+, Singha, K., Krajnovich, A.*, Hampton, T.*, Zarnetske, J., Bagtzoglou, A.C. (2018). Observation of less-mobile porosity dynamics in an urban stream. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Singha, K., Harmon, R.*, Voytek, E.*, Barnard, H. (2018). Examining diel patterns of soil and sap flow from the single-tree to hillslope scale. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract. Invited.
- Mitroi, T.+, Doughty, M.*, Randell, J., Singha, K. (2018). Imaging the subsurface: The effect of logjams on groundwater-surface water exchange. EOS Trans. AGU Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract.
- Doughty, M.*, Randell, J., Wohl, E., Singha, K. (2018). Electrical imaging the changes in hyporheic exchange from channel-spanning logjams.
National Annual Meeting of the Geological Society of America, Nov 4-7, 2018, Indianapolis: GSA Abstracts with Programs.
- Mangel, A.#, Bradford, J.H. and Singha, K. (2018). Imaging changes in moisture within living tree trunks using ground-penetrating radar. Society of Exploration Geophysics Technical Program Extended Abstract, Oct 14-19, 2018, Anaheim, CA, Proceedings, 4 p.
- Singha, K., Day-Lewis, F.D., and Briggs, M.A. (2018). Quantifying non-local solute transport behavior with electrical geophysics: a review. 8th International Conference on Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, June 10-13, 2018, Hangzhou, China, 4 p. Invited.
- Briggs, M., Zarnetske, J., MahmoodPoor Dehkordy, F.*, Hampton, T.*, Day-Lewis, F., Singha, K., Johnson, Z., Hitt, N., Snyder, C., Hurley, S., Harvey, J., Lane, J. (2018). Evaluating the ecological and biogeochemical consequences of multi-scale preferential flow processes at sediment water interfaces. Society for Freshwater Science Annual Meeting May 20-24, 2018, Detroit.
- Voytek, E.B.*, Singha, K. and Irving, J. (2018). Examining the effect of different signal sources on the hydrologic interpretation of self-potential data. EGU Annual Meeting. April 8-13, 2018, Vienna.
- Voytek, E.B.*, Jougnot, D., Barnard, H., Singha, K. (2018). Coupled fluid flow and electrokinetic model for evaluation of time-lapse self-potential (SP) measurements. EGU Annual Meeting. April 8-13, 2018, Vienna. Invited.
selected recent service
- Darcy Lecture Year: (81 talks total): 1) University of Alberta; 2) University of Calgary; 3) University of British Columbia; 4) Simon Fraser University; 5) Colorado State University; 6) University of Colorado-Boulder; 7) Robert S. Kerr Environmental Research Center (USEPA, Ada, OK); 8) East Central University; 9) Oklahoma State University; 10) Los Alamos National Lab; 11) University of New Mexico; 12) New Mexico Tech; 13) SAGEEP, Denver, Colorado; 14) National University of Mongolia; 15) China University of Geosciences; 16) Hohai University, China; 17) Chinese Academy of Sciences; 18) Southern University of Science and Technology, China; 19) Virginia Tech; 20) Appalachian State University; 21) Clemson University; 22) Portland State University; 23) Oregon State University; 24) University of Nevada-Reno; 25) Stanford University; 26) University of California-Davis; 27) University of Utah; 28) Colorado School of Mines/Modflow and More 2017; 29) Heriot-Watt University, Scotland; 30) Université de Rennes 1, France; 31) Sorbonne Universités, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, France; 32) Universitat Politècnica de València, Spain; 33) Technische Universität Dresden/NovCare 2017, Germany; 34) University of Graz, Austria; 35) Université de Lausanne, Switzerland; 36) Université de Neuchâtel, Switzerland; 37) Universität Freiburg, Germany; 38) Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology (EAWAG), Switzerland; 39) Universität Tübingen, Germany; 40) Karlsruher Institut für Technologie, Germany; 41) Université de Liège, Belgium; 42) Technische Universiteit Delft, Netherlands; 43) IAH Sydney, Australia; 44) IAH Canberra/Geoscience Australia, Australia; 45) IAH Melbourne, Australia; 46) IAH Hobart/University of Tasmania, Australia; 47) National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training/Flinders University, Australia; 48) IAH Perth, Australia; 49) University of Western Australia; 50) IAH Darwin/Charles Darwin University, Australia; 51) CSIRO/James Cook University, Australia; 52) University of Queensland, Australia; 53) Queensland University of Technology, Australia; 54) Aqualinc Research Ltd./University of Canterbury, New Zealand; 55) Royal Society of New Zealand; 56) Southwest Research Institute (SWRI), Austin; 57) University of Texas-Austin; 58) Texas A&M; 59) Kansas State University; 60) University of Kansas; 61) University of Arizona; 62) Ohio State University; 63) Michigan State University; 64) GeoOttawa 2017/IAH Canada; 65) University of Waterloo; 66) Cornell University; 67) SUNY-New Paltz; 68) Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; 69) University of Connecticut; 70) Boston College; 71) University of Massachusetts; 72) Rutgers University-Newark; 73) University of Delaware; 74) Johns Hopkins University; 75) West Virginia University; 76) Geological Society of America, Seattle; 77) University of Washington; 78) University of Pretoria, South Africa; 79) University of the Free State, South Africa; 80) University of the Western Cape, South Africa; 81) NGWA Groundwater Summit, Nashville
- Other non-Darcy invited talks: GSA Pardee Symposia; Colorado School of Mines Van Tuyl Lecture; American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting
- invited talks from 2015 and earlier