MALDI-TOF-MS analysis of whole cell bacteria
Rapid methods of biodetection
Electron monochromator mass spectrometry
Thermal characteristics of polymers
CH221-Organic Chemistry laboratories
CH327 - Organic Qualitative Analysis
CH222 - Organic Chemistry Laboratories
• M. Xu, F. Basile and K.J. Voorhees (2000) “Differentiation and Classification of User- Specified Bacterial Groups by in situ Thermal Hydrolysis/Methylation of Whole Bacterial Cells by tert-Butyl Bromide CI Ion Trap MS,” Anal. Chim. Acta., 418 , 119
• M.B. Beverly, K.J. Voorhees, T.L. Hadfield and R.B. Cody (2000) “Electron Monochromator Mass Spectrometry for the Analysis of Whole Bacteria and Bacterial Spores,” Anal. Chem., 72 , 2428.
• R.D. Holland, F. Rafii, J.B. Sutherland, T.H. Heinze, K.J. Voorhees and J.O. Lay, Jr. (2000) “Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization TOF-MS Detection of Bacterial Biomarker Proteins Isolated From Contaminated Water, Lettuce, and Cotton Cloth,” Rapid Commun. in Mass Spectrom., 14 , 911.
• A.J. Madonna, F. Basile, I. Ferrer, M.A. Metanni, J.C. Rees and K.J. Voorhees (2000) “On-Probe Sample Preparation for the Detection of Proteins Above 15 kDa for, Whole Cell Bacteria by MALDI/TOF,” Rapid Commun. in Mass Spectrom., 14 , 2220
• A.J. Madonna, T.L. Hadfield and K.J. Voorhees (2001) “Detection of Taxonomically Important Fatty Acid Methyl Esters and Steroid Biomarkers using in situ Thermal Hydrolysis/Methylation Mass Spectrometry (THM/MS): Implications for Bioaerosol Detection,” J. Anal. Appl. Pyrol., 61 , 63.
• Angelo Madonna, F. Basile and K.J. Voorhees (2001) "The Detection of Bacteria from Biological Mixtures using Immunomagnetic Separation Combined with Matrix-assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization Time-of-flight Mass Spectrometry, " Rapid Commun. in Mass Spectrom., 15 , 1068.
• P.B. Harrington, K.J. Voorhees, F. Basile and A.D. Hendricker (2002) “Validation Using Sensitivity Target Factor Analyses of Neural Network Models for Classifying Bacteria from Mass Spectra,” J. Amer. Soc. Mass. Spectrom., 13 , 10.
• Y. Isahida, A.J. Madonna, J.C. Rees, M.A. Meetani and K.J. Voorhees (2002) "Discrimination of Enterobacteriaceae based on Spectral Patterns of Phospholipids using MALDI-TOF/MS Combined with On-Probe Sample Pretreatment", Rapid Commun. in Mass Spectrom., 16, 1877.
• Z. Zhang, A. Urbas,, P.B. Harrington, K.J. Voorhees, and J. Rees (2002) "Temperature-Constrained Cascade Correlation Network and Its Application to Bacteria Identification,"Geodeng Xuexiao Huaxue Xuebao, 23, 570.
• Z. Zhang, D. Wang, P.B. Harrington, K.J. Voorhees, and J. Rees (2002) "Radial Basis Function Networks Applied to Bacterial MALDI-TOF-MS Classification," Jisuanji Yu Yingyong Huaxue, 19, 45.
• M. Xu, K.J. Voorhees and T.D. Hadfield (2003) “Repeatability and Pattern Recognition of Bacterial Fatty Acid Profiles Produced by Direct MS Analysis of in situ Thermal Hydrolysis/Methylation of whole cells,” Talanta, 59 , 577.
• F. Basile, I. Ferrer, E.T. Furlong and K. J. Voorhees (2002) “Simultaneous Multiple Substrate Tag Detection with ESI-Ion Trap MS for In Vivo Bacterial Enzyme Activity Profiling,” Anal. Chem., 74, 4290.
• P. Miketova, C. Abbas-Hawks, K.J. Voorhees and T.L. Hadfield (2003) "Microorganism Gram-type Differentiation of Whole Cells Based on Pyrolysis High-Resolution Mass Spectrometry Data," J. Anal. Appl. Pyrol., 67, 109.
• A.J. Madonna, N.I. Taranenko, V.V. Laiko, V.M. Doroshenko, K.J. Voorhees (2003) “Investigation of Bacillus species biomarkers using atmospheric pressure matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization mass spectrometry,” Anal. Chem., 75, 1628.
• A.J. Madonna, S. Van Cuyk and K.J. Voorhees (2003) “Detection of E. coli using Immunomagnetic separation and Bacteriophage Amplification Couple with MALDI-TOF-MS,” Rapid Commun. in Mass Spectrom., 17, 257.
• M. Meetani, F. Basile and K.J. Voorhees (2003) “Investigation of Pyrolysis Residues of Poly(amino acids) using MALDI-TOF-MS,” J. Anal. Appl. Pyrol., 68, 101.
• K.J. Voorhees, M.A. Meetani and F. Basile (2003) “Thermal Cyclization Reactions Occurring with Synthetic Proteins and Peptides,” Polym. Mater. Sci. Eng., 88, 181.
• C. D. Havey, F. Basile, K.J. Voorhees and C. Mowry (2004) “Evaluation of a Micro-Fabricated Pyrolyzer for the Detection of Bacillus anthracis Spores,” J. Anal. Appl. Pyrol., 72, 55.
• Z. Zhang, D. Wang, P.B. Harrington, K.J. Voorhees and J. Rees (2004) “Forward Selection Readial Basis Function Networks Applied to Bacterial Classification based on MALDI-TOF-MS,” Talanta, 63, 527.
• K.J. Voorhees, C. Abbas-Hawks, P. Miketova and T. Hadfield (2006) “Identification of Lipid-Based Biomarkers in the High Resolution Py/Mass Spectrum of Brucella neotomae,” J. Anal. Appl. Pyrol., 75, 33.
• K.J. Voorhees and J. Rees, (2005) “A Review of Antibody Capture and Bacteriophage Amplification in Connection with the Direct Analysis of Whole Cell Bacteria by MALDI-TOF-MS,” C.L. Wilkins and J.O. Lay, Editors, Wiley, p 301.
• Kent J. Voorhees, Christy Abbas-Hawks, and Petra Miketova, (2006) “Identification of Protein Biomarkers in the Pyrolysis Electron Ionization-High Resolution Mass Spectrum of Brucella neotomae” J. Anal. Appl. Pyrol. 75, 90.
• Kent J. Voorhees, Christy Abbas-Hawks, and Petra Miketova, (2006) “Identification of Carbohydrate and Nucleic Acid Biomarkers in the Pyrolysis Electron Ionization-High Resolution Mass Spectrum of Brucella neotomae” J. Anal. Appl. Pyrol., 76, 6.
• M. Meetani and K.J. Voorhees, (2005) “MALDI Mass Spectrometry Analysis of High Molecular Weight Proteins from Whole Bacterial Cells: Pretreatment of Samples with Surfactants,” J. Amer. Soc. Mass. Spectrom., 16, 1422.
• J.C. Rees and K.J. Voorhees (2005) “Simultaneous Detection of Two Bacterial Pathogens Using Bacteriophage Amplification Coupled with MALDI-TOF-MS,” Rapid Commun. In Mass Spectrom., 19, 2547
• A.J. Dane, C. Havey and K.J. Voorhees (2006) “The Occurrence of Nitro Pesticides in Tobacco Smoke,” Anal. Chem.,78,
• C.D. Havey, R.L. McCormick, R.R. Hayes, A. J. Dane, and K.J. Voorhees, (2006) “Analysis of Nitro-Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Conventional Diesel and Alternative Diesel Fuel Emissions Using Electron Monochromator-Mass Spectrometry,” Anal. Chem., 78, 4894.
• Crystal D. Havey, Mark Eberhart, Travis Jones, Kent J. Voorhees, Robert B. Cody, Dennis P. Clougherty (2006) “Theory and Application of Dissociative Electron Capture in Molecular Identification,” J. Phys. Chem., 110, 4413.
• Leah G. Luna, Scott W. Bearden, Kent J. Voorhees (submitted) “Yersiniophage Characterization for a Phage-Based Diagnostic to Identify Yersinia pestis,” J. Microbiol. Meth.
• Robert W. Reiman, Daniel H. Atchley and Kent J. Voorhees, (accepted) “Indirect detection of Bacillus anthracis using real-time PCR to detect amplified gamma phage DNA, J. of Microbiol. Meth.