Richard G. Huggins
NSF-GK12 Teaching Fellow
Division of Environmental Science and Engineering
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401, USA
Physical Location: 110 Coolbaugh Hall
- B.S., Forest Engineering, Cum Laude, Water Resources Focus, State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY
- M.S. Environmental Science and Engineering, Water Treatment, Reclamation and Reuse Option, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO
- Ph.D. Candidate, Environmental Science and Engineering, "Cost and Energy Optimization of Sequential Wastewater Treatment and Reclamation Processes", Operations Research Minor, Colorado School of Mines , Golden, CO., (Expected Graduation 2012, Advisors: Dr. Linda A. Figueroa P.E. (Division of Environmental Science and Engineering), Dr. Andres Guerra (Division of Business and Economics)
Graduate Research Focus
Integration of traditional biokinetic modeling equations with mixed integer nonlinear optimzation methods for triple
bottom line optimization of wastewater treatment and reclamation facility design and operation.
With the advisement of my faculty advisers Dr.'s Figueroa and Guerra I am conducting interdisciplinary engineering
research focused on combining mixed integer nonlinear programing (MINLP) methods with water/wastewater
design equations. This work will allow for the enhancement of existing computer based water/wastewater
process simulation models by allowing for explicit optimization of facility design and operating parameters.
Computer based optimization will allow for cost and energy minimizatin and the optimzation of "human capital"
aspect of the triple bottom line.
People (Advisement, Collaborations, and Support)
- Faculty (In Division) Adviser: Dr. Linda A. Figueroa         Homepage Link
Adviser (Optimization Guru): Dr. Andres Guerra              Homepage Link
- Biological Treatment Processes
- Water/Wastewater Treatment Processes
- Optimization Methods
- Forest/Ecological Engineering and Management Practices
- Water Environment Federation (WEF)
- Rocky Mountain Water Environment Association (RMWEA)
- American Water Works Association (AWWA)
- Rocky Mountain Section of the American Water Works Association (RMSAWWA)