Susan Reynolds, PE, RA, LEED AP
- Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401
- M.S. Civil Engineering (Structural), University of Illinois, 2004
- B. Architecture, Auburn University, 2000
- B.A. Spanish, Auburn University, 2004
- Structural analysis and design: I have professional experience in structural design for modern engineering materials and technologies, as well as historic structures.
- Historic preservation technology: The public relies on structural engineers to determine whether or not existing buildings remain safe for use over time. In addition to learning about today's most advanced structural materials, engineering students should be well-versed in archaic building materials and methods to enable sensitive stewardship of the built environment.
- Sustainable / integrated design approaches for buildings: preservation is an inherently sustainable approach to building, as it increases the structure's life cycle and minimizes depletion of natural resources that comprise building materials.
- Engineering Education: Traditional engineering education is generally comprised of derivations of governing principles, computational examples, homework problems modeled on the in-class example, and written exams based closely on lecture material and homework assignments. My teaching philosophy combines traditional engineering course delivery with open-ended and design-based problems that are common in architectural pedagogy. I present abstract engineering concepts graphically during lecture, and draw heavily from my professional practice experience, linking the classroom content to real-world case studies. Most importantly, I try to create a classroom culture that is conducive to collaboration and peer-to-peer learning.
- Teaching Interests: Historic structures, steel design, concrete design, masonry design, wood design, structural analysis, BIM/CAD, professional practice, construction documents, sustainable structures.
- Personal Interests: sketching, bassoon, Auburn Tiger football, sports, cooking, hiking