Paulo Cesar Tabares-Velasco
- Mechanical Engineering
- Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401
- Dr. Tabares holds a PhD in Architectural Engineering from The Pennsylvania State University, an MSc in Mechanical Engineering from Colorado State University and a BSc in Engineering Physics from the Monterrey Institute of Technology.
- Dr. Tabares research interests are in building energy simulation, thermal storage, green roofs, heat transfer applied to buildings and buildings integration with the smart grid.
- Dr. Tabares comes to Colorado School of Mines after being a Research Engineer at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) where he developed the simulation environment for NRELs Smart Power Lab. He was a developer of NREL building simulation/optimization tool BEopt. Before becoming a Research Engineer, he was a Postdoctoral Researcher at NREL where he led NREL technical research on phase change materials in collaboration with the Department of Energy Building Envelope and Windows R&D program, Oak Ridge National Lab, and Fraunhofer CSE. He also validated and improved the finite-difference/phase change material (PCM) model in EnergyPlus and analyzed pre-cooling strategies in residential buildings to reduce electric peak demand.
- Dr. Tabares work at PennState on vegetated roofs has been recognized with the 2009 Crosby Field Award, 2009 Willis H. Carrier Award and 2009 Best Poster Award by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), the 2011 Green Roof Research Award of Excellence by Green Roof for Healthy Cities (GRHC) and a NSF video production. He was also a Student Project Engineer at the Industrial Assessment Center at Colorado State University (CSU), where he performed more than 20 energy assessment to manufacturing plants in Colorado, New Mexico and North Dakota.
- Cetin, K., Tabares-Velasco, P.C. and Novoselac, A. 2014. "Appliance daily energy use in new residential buildings: Use profiles and variation in time-of-use," Energy and Buildings, in Press.
- Zhao, M., Tabares-Velasco, P.C., and Srebric, J. 2014. "Effects of Plants and Substrate Selection on Thermal Performance of Green Roofs," Building and Environment, 78: 199-211.
- Tabares-Velasco, P. Maguire, J., Horowitz, S. and Christensen, C. 2014. "Using the BEopt automated residential simulation test suite to enable comparative analysis between energy simulation engines," ASHRAE/IBPSA-USA Building Simulation Conference, September 10 - 12, 2014, Atlanta, GA: 41-48
- Tabares-Velasco, P.C.2013. "Energy Impacts of Nonlinear Behavior of Phase Change Materials When Applied to Opaque Building Envelopes," Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 136(1), 011013-7. doi:10.1115/1.4024926.
- Tabares-Velasco, P.C. 2013. "Timestep considerations when simulating dynamic behavior of high-performance homes," Thermal Performance of Exterior Envelopes of Whole Buildings XII International Conference, Florida December 2013.
- Tabares-Velasco, P. C., Zhao, M., Peterson, N., Srebric, J., and Berghage, R. 2012. "Validation of a Predictive Heat Transfer Green Roof Model with Extensive Green Roof Field Data," Ecological Engineering, 47: 165173.
- Tabares-Velasco, P.C., Christensen, C. and Bianchi, M. 2012. "Verification and Validation of EnergyPlus Phase Change Material Model for Opaque Wall Assemblies," Building and Environment, 54: 186-196.
- Booten, C. and Tabares-Velasco, P.C. 2012. "Using EnergyPlus to Simulate the Dynamic Response of a Residential Building to Advanced Cooling Strategies, " Proceedings: The Second International Conference on Building Energy and Environment, Boulder, CO, August 2012: 894-902
- Tabares-Velasco, P.C., and Srebric, J. 2012. "A Heat Transfer Model for Assessment of Plant Based Roofing Systems in Summer Conditions," Building and Environment, 49: 310-323.
- Tabares-Velasco, P.C. and Griffith, B. 2012. "Diagnostic Test Cases for Verifying Surface Heat Transfer Algorithms and Boundary Conditions in Building Energy Simulation Programs," Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 5 (5): 329346.