Frequently Asked Questions

Q : Can I bring my own refrigerator?
Ans : Yes, it must be a mini-sized refrigerator - less than 3.2 cubic feet.
Q : Can I bring my own microwave?
Ans : Yes, it must be a small portable microwave, preferably 750 to 1000 watts.
Q : What is the size of the bed and do I supply my own linens?
Ans : Typical mattress size is 36 inches wide, 80 inches long, and 6 inches high. Usually, extra long twin sheets fit the best. You must supply your own mattress pad, sheets, pillow, pillow case, blanket, towels, washcloths, and any other personal toiletry items. CSM has partnered with Residence Halls Linens to provide a linens service with allows parents to find many products including extra long twin sheets, comforters, bath, & storage items. Go to to see the wide selection offered.
Q : What are the measurements of the room?
Ans :

Traditional Halls

  • Typical Double - approximately 12' wide by 16' deep
  • Typical Single - approximately 8' 9" wide by 16' deep

Weaver Towers (approximate sizes)

  • A Room - 9 X 14 feet ..... double
  • B Room - 8 X 10 feet ...... single
  • C Room - 8 X 10 feet ...... single
  • D Room - 9.5 X 12 feet .. double
  • E Room - 10 X 13 feet .... double
  • E Room - 8 X 14 feet ...... single
  • F Room - 7.5 X 11 feet ... R.A room
  • Common Area - 13 X 13 feet

All rooms have a desk, desk chair, bed, extra long mattress, closet, and study light per person.

Q : Can I loft the beds in my room?
Ans : All bed frames are either loft-able or bunk-able. Bunk bed pegs can be obtained at your front desk.
Q : How much is a bike locker to rent?
Ans : $80.00 per semester and $30.00 for the summer. We do not have a lot of locker space and they are given away on a lottery drawing basis. Inquire about renting a bike locker at the front desk of your Residence Hall. When you arrive on campus you may store your bike in your room as long as it does not interfere with fire evacuation, but it may not be hung by hooks from the ceiling.
Q : Can personal items be shipped in advance?
Ans :

Yes. When you ship your items, please put your name and building you will be living in on the address. If you're not sure what your address is, click herePDF versionText only version

Q : What is my mailing address?
Ans :

Click herePDF versionText only version

Q : Can furniture be moved out of the room?
Ans : No, you may disassemble your bed but it must stay in your room during the year. However, if you disassemble furniture it must be properly reassembled upon checkout of the room.You may bring your own bed, desk, or dresser, but all furniture that comes with the room must stay in the room at all times. The school does not have storage space for the furniture that belongs in the rooms.
Q : Is there storage space for boxes and trunks?
Ans : There is no storage space available for student's items outside their room, so please be very careful of what you bring to put in your room. Usually you do not need to save your boxes, as boxes are available from other sources at the end of the year, i.e. Bookstore, Safeway, Golden merchants, etc.
Q : Does the school have gun storage?
Ans : Yes, but it is not in the Residence Halls. If you plan to have a firearm or other shooting instruments while at school, you will need to contact Public Safety (303) 273-3333. They have storage facilities on campus for your weapons. You will need to check on storage of ammunition with them also, or you will need to find storage for your weapons and ammunition off campus.
Q : Cost of laundry?
Ans : For students living in the Residence Halls, there is no cost to use the machines. However, laundry detergent is not provided.
Q : Can I bring a vehicle?
Ans : First year freshmen students living on-campus are not permitted to park on campus unless a parking permit is obtained through the lottery system or waiver process. Freshmen who receive a permit through the waiver or lottery system will receive a Resident permit.
Q : What if I want to switch roommates?
Ans : You need to speak with your current roommate, Resident Assistant, Hall Director, and/or Residence Life Coordinator (hyperlink to the Staff page) to begin the process. If you are having a roommate problems feel free to check out our Roommate Conflict site
Q : Is smoking allowed in the Residence Halls?
Ans : Due to state regulations, smoking is not allowed in any building on campus. Smoking outside the Residence Halls needs to be a reasonable distance from entry ways, windows, and ventilation systems (typical rule of thumb, 50 feet from building).
Q : When do I choose my meal plan?
Ans : All students living in the Residence Halls are required to have a meal plan. You have the opportunity to select your meal plan during the housing application process. Your fall meal plan will be copied over to the spring semester. You will have the first week of the fall and spring semesters to change your meal plan if you decide a different meal plan will better suit your needs. Information on how to change your meal plan will be sent to your Mines student email. Please visit the Mines Dining Website for more information.
Q : What electrical items can I use in my room?
Ans : Hot pots, coffee pots, irons, stereos, computers, TVs, popcorn poppers, hair dryers, curling irons, and any other unexposed heating element items. No cooking is allowed in the residence hall rooms due to the odor, pests, and fire hazards. All cooking must be done in kitchen areas of all buildings and individual units in Mines Park.
Q : What items are available at the front desk for checkout?
Ans : We have the following items: minor tools, vacuum cleaners, dust pans, brooms, buckets, mops, cleaning supplies, ironing boards and irons, cooking utensils, athletic equipment, stamps, magazines, and board games. You can also pick up your mail and packages at the front desk. If you see a need for something we do not have, please see your R.A.
Q : Is there motorcycle parking?
Ans : First year freshmen students living on-campus are not permitted to park on campus unless a parking permit is obtained through the lottery system or waiver process. Freshmen who receive a permit through the waiver or lottery system will receive a Resident permit.

Residence Life

Department of Residence Life & Housing

Main Office
Phone: (303) 869-LIFE(5433)
Toll Free: (800) 446-9488 x5433
Fax: (303) 384-2261
Location: Campus Living Office (Elm Hall)
Monday – Friday:
8 am – 5 pm

Saturday & Sunday:
Closed in the Summer

Apartments at Mines Park Office
Phone: 303-869-5444
Toll Free: (800) 446-9488 x5444
Location: Community Center 2 at Mines Park
Monday – Friday:
8 am – 5 pm

Saturday & Sunday:
10 am – 5 pm


Student Blogs