Transfer Credit Approvals

Graduate Students

Please contact the Office of Graduate Studies for more information regarding transfer credit approvals for credit taken at other schools.

Undergraduate Students

Credit from other universities may be transferred to a degree program at the Colorado School of Mines. Continuing Mines students must obtain prior/post approval to transfer courses from another school using a Transfer Approval Form:

To submit a prior/post-approval form, all of the following information must be completed:

  1. Your name.
  2. Your CWID.
  3. Your current class level. (See Class Standing for more information.)
  4. Your e-mail address.
  5. Your major.
  6. Your expected date of graduation.
  7. Your current catalog. (This should be the year you started at Mines unless you have submitted a Catalog Change.)
  8. The course that you are transferring must be listed. You must list the name, the subject and course number of the class you intend to transfer.
  9. The name of the school where you are completing the class must be listed.
  10. The term and year that you intend to take the class.
  11. Whether the school where you will take the class is on the semester or quarter system.
  12. How many credit hours the class is worth at the school where you will complete it.
  13. The equivalent Mines course must be listed. You must list the course name, the subject, and course number, and how many credit hours the course is worth. (If you are transferring the course in as free elective, only the title "free elective" and the hours must be listed.)
  14. The requirement that is met by the course must be checked.
  15. The reason that the course is being transferred. (If you will be out of state if the class is not offered at Mines, etc.)
  16. Once all of the information has been completed please return the form to the Registrar's Office for processing.  Forms may be submitted electronically to directly from an official Mines email address.

When you have completed the course, an official transcript must be sent from the school where you took the course to the Registrar's Office. The transcript must be sent directly from the institution and may either be mailed or sent to

To transfer credit from another institution, you must receive a grade of "C" or better. Credit for transfer courses will display on your transcript. The grades obtained for transferred courses do not count towards your Mines GPA.

Contact Information

OPEN M-F 8:00am-5:00pm

Registrar's Office
Student Center E280
1200 16th Street
Golden, CO 80401

P: 303-273-3200
F: 303-384-2253

 Follow us on Twitter