Veterans & Dependents

Step 1.
Step 2. 
Apply for benefits for the following programs administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Is this your first time using your GI Bill® If yes, Complete and submit an application for VA Education Benefits, VA Form 22-1990 to the VA through .
Are you transferring to Mines from another Institution? If yes, Complete and submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995 to the VA through

If you meet the eligibility requirements for Colorado in-state tuition rates, contact the Registrar's Office for the appropriate process.

Step 3.
Apply for Financial Aid through the FAFSA website and contact the Mines Financial Aid Office.
Step 4.
If you are an undergraduate Colorado resident, apply for COF, and authorize the use of COF funds in your Trailhead account prior to Census Day.
Step 5. 
Submit the applicable documents to the Registrar’s Office:
  • VA Certification Worksheet. (Note: This document must be completed each semester you plan to attend school.)
  • New Student Survey.
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
  • DD-214.
  • Kicker contributions. 

Additional Information
  • Copies of any written communication to the student from the VA must be provided to the Veterans Certifying Official. This includes information concerning remaining eligibility, the percentage of tuition coverage, payment or overpayment of benefits.
  • If you are interested in attending another school while enrolled at Mines, you must go to the Registrar's Office to request a parent institution letter.
  • According to Colorado law, institutions of higher education must verify that all enrolled students receiving benefits must verify lawful presence within the United States. If you are asked to do this, your military ID will suffice. You will only be asked to complete this verification once. We apologize for any inconvenience.
  • You may be asked to show your Social Security card if your Social Security Number was not provided on your Admissions application.
  • Remember each term to confirm your attendance via Trailhead.
  • In all cases, if information is missing, you will receive a request for information from the Registrar's Office. Thank you for your cooperation with these requests.
  • Colorado School of Mines does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
To obtain the status of your claim:
(888) GI-BILL-1
Monday- Friday
6:00am – 4:00pm
Or send an electronic inquiry:
(24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
If you are eligible to receive benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), your tuition and fees payments are sent directly to the school. Housing allowance, kickers, and books stipends are sent directly to eligible students.
Remember that your GI Bill® benefits are paid “in arrears,” this means that payments for January won’t be received until February.
Also, your first payment may not be for a full month, because you are paid from the actual day you start school, for example, if you start school August 23rd, your September payment will be for the 8 days you attended in August.


Contact Information

OPEN M-F 8:00am-5:00pm

Registrar's Office
Student Center E280
1200 16th Street
Golden, CO 80401

P: 303-273-3200
F: 303-384-2253

 Follow us on Twitter