Foreign National Visitors
Foreign National Visitors to campus should be screened against the denied entity/restricted parties and
Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) lists. International Scholars and Students visiting on J-1 VISAS are
processed and screened through ORA and International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS). Non-students
and visiting faculty/scholars should be processed through the ISSS and Office of Legal Services.
1. Visiting Scholars and Research.
Visiting scholars involved in research receive additional screening by Mines. General or industry visitors
should be screened prior to visiting campus. Please notify ORA at least two (2) weeks in advance of a visit
by a Visiting Scholar and ensure that you have the necessary information regarding foreign national visitors.
The Mines International Scholar and Student Services (ISSS) office has information regarding VISA and
processing. See the ISSS website @ http://isss.mines.edu for more information.
Foreign Students.
Screening is not generally required for students who have applied, been accepted, and/or are enrolled in
any degree granting program that the Mines offers; however, if that student will be performing research in
a laboratory or working for Mines (i.e. Graduate Assistant, Research Assistant, etc.) then there may be
screening required if they are from certain countries to properly place them on projects. See
Permanent Resident or Other Status.
Screening is not required for foreign visitors who provide documentation they hold permanent resident
alien status in the U.S. (i.e., current “green card” holder) or have been granted asylum or refugee status by
the U.S. government.
I-129 Process & H-1B Status
US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Form I-129 “Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker”, is used in
the H-1B temporary worker process. The ISSS office can identify what type of documentation must be filed
for the visitor. This form is required to be filled out for any foreign national working on an internal or
sponsored account. A background check is performed on the individual using our Compliance software to
ensure the person is not on the restricted parties list. A current passport/visa for the foreign national is
required at the time of submission of the form.

Form completion.
The form must be completed in conjunction with ISSS and Office of Legal Services. This form must be
completed and approved prior to invitation and subsequent arrival of the foreign national. The inviting
party or Mines community member is responsible for ensuring that the appropriate information is
submitted to ISSS and Office of Legal Services to complete this process.

Determine if License required.
I-129 Foreign National Employee Petition requires Mines to determine if an export license is required to
share technical data with the beneficiary (foreign national employee). In order to facilitate the necessary
review, there is a process with Office of Legal Services and International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
and the required completion of the paperwork by those offices.



While it is anticipated that an export license will not be required in most cases, some need for export
licenses will occur and typically be associated with sponsored research. Should additional information be
needed to complete the assessment, ORA will work directly with the Sponsor identified on the form or the
Legal Office/ISSS with the appropriate internal unit. Once the process is completed, the export assessment
or advisory letter wil be provided to the unit, copied to the administrative/ORA contract regarding the
form, for inclusion in the visa application packet to be submitted to Human Resources.
[End of Section]