- the chemistry of natural organic matter
- abiotic oxidation/reduction reactions
- hydrolysis reaction rates and mechanisms
- environmental partitioning from aqueous to soil/sediment and other systems
- particle effects in aqueous chemistry
- geochemical processes in systems contaminated with acid mine drainage, and
- chemistry in wetlands
Current research group
(funded by USGS, NIH, USEPA, NSF, and/or COWWRD):
- Anthony Ranalli, PhD Candidate (Geochemistry) -- Nutrient and natural organic fluxes in alpine streams
- Kaylene Ritter, PhD Candidate (Applied Chemistry) Interactions among arsenic species and natural organic matter
- Sandrine Deglin, PhD Candidate (Applied Chemistry) Transport of sorbed contaminants from soil across the human dermal barrier
- Sarah Stetson, PhD Candidate (Applied Chemistry) Analytical chemistry of anionic constituent in natural systems
- Undergraduate courses in environmental chemistry, physical chemistry,
environmental sampling, undergraduate research, and introductory courses.
- Involvement in the McBride Honors Program in Public Policy
- Graduate courses in environmental organic chemistry and chemical kinetics
Other Professional Activities:
- Stetson, S. J.. R. B.Wanty, D. R. Helsela, S. J. Kalkhoffc, and D.L.
Macalady. 2006. Stability of low levels of perchlorate in drinking
water and natural water samples, Anal. Chim. Acta, in press.
- Macalady, D.L., Ritter, K., Redman, A., and Skold, M., 2004, Comparative characteristics of natural organic matter in the Fortymile River, Alaska, in, Gough, L.P., ed., Selected Geochemical and Biogeochemical Studies of the Fortymile River Watershed, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1685 .
- Norkus, E., Vakelis, A., Jaiauskien, J., J. Vaiciuniene, J
Gaidamauskas, G. and Macalady, D.L, 2005. Environmentally-friendly
natural polyhydroxylic compounds in electroless copper plating baths.
Application of xylitol, D-mannitol and D-sorbitol as copper(II)
ligands. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry 35 (1): 41-47.
- Norkus, E., Vaiciuiene, J., Vuorinin, T. and Macalady, D.L., 2004. Equilibria of Cu(II) in alkaline suspensions of cellulose pulp. Carbohydrate Polymers 55 , 47-55.
- Redman, A.D., Macalady, D.L. and Ahmann, D., 2002, Natural organic matter affects arsenic speciation and adsorption onto hematite, Environ. Sci. Technol , 36 , 2889-2896 .
- Tratnyek, P.T., and D.L. Macalady, 2000, Oxidation-reduction reactions in the aquatic environment, Chapter 16 in Handbook of Property Estimation Methods for Chemicals: Environmental and Health Sciences. R. S. Boethling and D. Mackay, eds., Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton , FL.
- Macalady, D. L. and J, F. Ranville, 1998, The chemistry and geochemistry of natural organic matter, in D. L. Macalady, ed., Perspectives in Environmental Chemistry, Oxford University Press, New York . pp. 94-137.
- Ranville, J. F. and D.L. Macalady, 1997, Natural organic matter in catchments, in: Geochemical Processes, Weathering and Recharge in Catchments, in O. M Saether and P. de Caritat, eds. Geochemical Processes, Weathering and Groundwater Recharge in Catchments. Balkema, Rotterdam , 1997, pp. 263-297.
- Sorci, J. J. and D.L. Macalady, 1993, Quantitative structure-activity relationships in bacterial and abiotic alkaline hydrolyses of para-substituted acetanilides , J. Agric. Food Chem., 41, 1760-66.
- Wolfe, N.L. and D.L. Macalady, 1992, New perspectives in aquatic redox chemistry , J. Contam. Hydrol. , 9, 17-34.
- Field, J.A., J.A. Leenheer, K.A. Thorn, S.R. Daniel, and D.L. Macalady, 1992, Identification of persistent anionic surfactant-derived chemicals in sewage effluent and groundwater , J. Contam. Hydrol., 9, 55-78.
- Gintautas, P.A., S.R. Daniel, and D.L. Macalady, 1992 Phenoxyalkanoic herbicides in municipal landfill leachates , Environ. Sci, Technol. 26, 517-520.
- Dunnivant, F.M., Schwarzenbach, R.A., and D.L. Macalady, 1992, Reduction of substituted nitrobenzenes in aqueous solutions containing natural organic matter , Environ. Sci. Technol. 26, 2133-2141.
Fishing, bicycling, hunting, travel, photography, scuba diving, sailing, gardening, woodworking, camping, hiking, cross-country skiing. Member of the Nature Conservancy, Amnesty International, the Sierra Club, the Wilderness Society, and the Society of Friends. Latest good books to read : Mountains beyond Mountains by tracy Kidder and Yearning for the Land: A Search for the Importance
of Place by John Warfield Simpson