Braeton J. Smith
- Economics and Business
- Colorado School of Mines
Golden, CO 80401
- PhD Candidate, Mineral & Energy Economics, Colorado School of Mines (exp. 2018)
- MS, Mineral & Energy Economics, Colorado School of Mines (2014)
- MS, Applied Economics, Oregon State University (2012)
- BA, Economics & Spanish, University of New Mexico (2009)
- Electricity markets and interfuel substitution (fuel switching)
- Material and system substitution in clean energy technology
- Critical materials and rare earth elements
- Economic impacts of natural disasters
- More generally: Natural Resource and Environmental Economics, Energy (natural gas, electricity, etc.), Minerals, Econometrics, Operations Research
- Smith, Braeton J. and Roderick G. Eggert (2018), "Costs, substitution, and material use: The case of rare earth magnets." Environmental Science and Technology.
- Imholte, Devin D., Ruby T. Nguyen, Aditya Vedantam, Maxwell L. Brown, Ananth Iyer, Braeton J. Smith, John Collins, Corby G. Anderson, and Brock OKelley (2018), "An assessment of U.S rare earth availability for supporting U.S. wind energy growth targets." Energy Policy, Vol. 113, pp. 294-305.
- Smith, Braeton J. and Roderick G. Eggert (2016), "Multifaceted Material Substitution: The Case of NdFeB Magnets, 2010-2015." JOM: The Journal of the Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, Vol. 68, pp. 1964-1971.
- Vargas, Vanessa N., Bern C. Dealy, and Braeton J. Smith (2015), "The Regional Economic Accounting Tool: Updates and Extensions." Sandia National Laboratories, SAND 2015-4130C.
- Smith, Braeton J. (2014), "Substituting Wind for Coal: The Effects of an Increasing Share of Wind in the United States." 37th IAEE Conference Proceedings, June 2014.
- Smith, Braeton J. (2011), The Role of Fuel Type on the Residential Price of Electricity: A Panel Approach to the Energy Policy Act of 2005. 30th USAEE/IAEE North American Conference Proceedings, October 2011.
- Ehlen, Mark A., Drake E. Warren, Verne W. Loose, Vanessa N. Vargas, Paula S. Downes, Eric D. Eidson, Greg E. Mackey, and Braeton J. Smith (2010), "Economics Definitions, Methods, Models, and Analysis Procedures for Homeland Security Applications." Sandia National Laboratories, SAND2010-4315.
- Smith, Braeton J. and Calvin R. Shaneyfelt (2010), "Economic Impacts of a Hypothetical H1N1 Pandemic: A Cross-Sectional Analysis." Sandia National Laboratories, SAND2010-4314.
- Loose, Verne W., Vanessa N. Vargas, Drake E. Warren, Shirley J. Starks, Theresa J. Brown, and Braeton J. Smith (2010), "Economic and Policy Implications of Pandemic Influenza." Sandia National Laboratories, SAND2010-1910.