Address: Office 247, Brown Building, 1610 Illinois Street, Golden, CO 80401
My research lies in the broad field of compilers and programming systems, with an emphasis on program optimizations for heterogeneous computing and emerging architectures. My current focus is on high-performance graph analytics on GPUs and memory optimization for irregular applications.
Before joining Colorado School of Mines in August 2014, I earned a Ph.D. in Computer Science from The College of William and Mary, where I worked with Professor Xipeng Shen. I received an M.S. in Computer Science and a B.S. in Mathematics both from Central South University, Hunan, China.
- NSF grant to support research on optimizing applications for heterogeneous memory architectures (PI), 2016-2019
- Supercomputing best paper award, 2015
- Sole-PI NSF grant to support research on GPU scheduling, 2015-2017
- NVIDIA CUDA teaching center, 2014
- Stephen K. Park award, 2013
- Fellowship, IBM Center of Advanced Study, 2011-2013
Spring 2016: CSCI-580 Advanced High Performance Computing
Fall 2015: CSCI-440 Parallel Computing
Spring 2015: CSCI-564 Advanced Computer Architecture
Fall 2014: CSCI-580 Advanced High Performance Computing
I am actively recruiting Ph.D./M.S. students. If you are interested, we should talk! My goal as an advisor is to help my students develop and enjoy the capability of independent thinking.
I currently work with the following very bright students.
- [ASPLOS'17] "FLEP: Enabling Flexible and Efficient Preemption on GPUs", Bo Wu, Xu Liu, Xiaobo Zhou, Changjun Jiang. The 22nd ACM International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, Xi'an, China, April, 2017. Acceptance ratio: 17% (56/321).
- [ICS'17] "ScalaFSM: Enabling Scalability-Sensitive Speculative Parallelization for FSM Computations", Junqiao Qiu, Zhijia Zhao, Bo Wu, Abhinav Vishnu and Shuaiwen Leon Song. The International Conference on Supercomputing, Chicago, IL, June, 2017. Acceptance ratio: 16%.
- [IPDPS'17] "Co-Run Scheduling with Power Cap on Integrated CPU-GPU Systems", Qi Zhu, Bo Wu, Xipeng Shen, Li Shen and Zhiying Wang. The 31st IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium, Orlando, Florida, May, 2017. Acceptance ratio: 23%.
- [CGO'17] "FinePar: Irregularity-Aware Fine-Grained Workload Partitioning on Integrated Architectures", Feng Zhang, Bo Wu, Jidong Zhai, Bingsheng He, and Wenguang Chen. The International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization, Austin, TX, Feb, 2017. Acceptance ratio: 22% (26/114).
- [Book Chapter] "Data Placement on GPUs", Xipeng Shen and Bo Wu. To appear as a chapter in "Advances in GPU Research and Practice", by H. Sarbazi-Azad (editor), Elsevier, 2016.
- [Book Chapter] "Software-Level Task Scheduling on GPUs", Bo Wu and Xipeng Shen. To appear as a chapter in "Advances in GPU Research and Practice", by H. Sarbazi-Azad (editor), Elsevier, 2016.
- [TC'16] "Optimizing Data Placement on GPU Memory: A Portable Approach", Guoyang Chen, Xipeng Shen, Bo Wu, and Dong Li. The IEEE Transactions on Computers, 2016. To appear.
- [FCS'16] "Understanding Co-run Performance on CPU-GPU Integrated Processors: Observations, Insights, Directions", Qi Zhu, Bo Wu, Kai Shen, and Xipeng Shen. Frontiers of Computer Science, Springer, 2016. To appear.
- [TACO'16] "Examining and Reducing the Influence of Sampling Errors on Feedback-Driven Optimizations", Mingzhou Zhou, Bo Wu, Xipeng Shen, Yaoqing Gao, and Graham Yiu. The ACM Transactions on Architecture and Code Optimization, 2016. To appear.
- [SC'15] "ScaAnalyzer: A Tool to Identify Memory Scalability Bottlenecks in Parallel Programs", Xu Liu and Bo Wu. The International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, Austin, TX, Nov, 2015. Acceptance ratio: 22%. Best paper award (1 out of 358 submissions).
- [IEEE/Micro'15] "Enabling Portable Optimizations of Data Placement on GPU", Guoyang Chen, Bo Wu, Dong Li and Xipeng Shen. July/August Issue, The Heterogeneous Computing special issue of IEEE Micro, 2015.
- [HotOS'15] "Software Engagement with Sleeping CPUs", Qi Zhu, Meng Zhu, Bo Wu, Xipeng Shen, Kai Shen and Zhiying Wang. The 15th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems, Kartause Ittingen, Switzerland, May, 2015. Acceptance ratio: 32% (29/90)
- [ICS'15] "Enabling and Exploiting Flexible Task Assignment on GPU through SM-Centric Program Transformations", Bo Wu, Guoyang Chen, Dong Li, Xipeng Shen and Jeffrey Vetter. The 29th International Conference on Supercomputing, Newport Beach, CA, June, 2015. Acceptance ratio: 25%
- [MICRO'14] "PORPLE: An Extensible Optimizer for Portable Data Placement on GPU", Guoyang Chen, Bo Wu, Dong Li and Xipeng Shen. The 47th Annual IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Microarchitecture, Cambridge, UK, Dec, 2014. Acceptance ratio: 19% (53/273)
- [LCPC'14] "Understanding Co-Run Degradations on Integrated Heterogeneous Processors", Qi Zhu, Bo Wu, Xipeng Shen, Li Shen and Zhiying Wang. The 27th International Workshop on Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing, Hillsboro, OR, Sep, 2014.
[PACT'14 poster] "SM-Centric Transformation: Circumventing Hardware Restrictions
for Flexible GPU Scheduling ", Bo Wu, Guoyang Chen, Dong Li, Xipeng Shen, Jeffrey Vetter.
The 23rd International Conference on Parallel Architectures
and Compilation Techniques, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Aug. 2014.
- [OOPSLA'14] "Call Sequence Prediction through Probabilistic Calling Automata", Zhijia Zhao, Bo Wu, Mingzhou Zhou, Yufei Ding, Jianhua Sun, Xipeng Shen, and Youfeng Wu. ACM SIGPLAN conference on Systems, Programming, Languages and Applications, Portland, USA, 2014. Acceptance ratio: 28% (53/186).
- [ASPLOS'14] "Challenging the "Embarrassingly Sequential": Parallelizing Finite State Machine-Based Computations through Principled Speculation", Zhijia Zhao, Bo Wu, Xipeng Shen, The Nineteenth International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, Salt Lake City, Utah, Mar, 2014. Acceptance ratio: 23% (49/217).
- [PACT'13] "Exploring Hybrid Memory for GPU Energy Efficiency through Software-Hardware Co-Design", Bin Wang, Bo Wu, Dong Li, Xipeng Shen, Weikuan Yu, Yizheng Jiao, Jeffrey Vetter, The 22nd International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques, Edinburgh, Scotland, Sep, 2013. Acceptance ratio: 17% (36/208).
- [MSPC'13 poster] "Software-level Scheduling to Exploit Non-uniformly Shared Data Cache", Bo Wu, Weilin Wang, Xipeng Shen, ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Memory Systems Performance and Correctness, Seattle, USA, June, 2013. Two-page position paper.
- [ECOOP'13] "Simple Profile Rectifications Go A Long Way: Demystifying the Influence of Sampling Errors on Feedback Driven Program Optimizations ", Bo Wu, Mingzhou Zhou, Xipeng Shen, Yaoqing Gao, Raul Silvera, Graham Yiu, European Conference on Object-oriented Programming, Montpellier, France, July, 2013. Acceptance ratio: 25%.
- [PPoPP'13] "Complexity Analysis and Algorithm Design for Reorganizing Data to Minimize Non-Coalesced GPU Memory Accesses", Bo Wu, Zhijia Zhao, Eddy Zhang, Yunlian Jiang, Xipeng Shen, 18th ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on Principles and Practice of Parallel Programming, Shenzhen, China, Feb, 2013. Acceptance ratio: 18%.
- [CGO'13] "ProfMig: The First Framework for Migrating Program Profiles Across Software Versions", Mingzhou Zhou, Bo Wu, Yufei Ding, Xipeng Shen, International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization, Shenzhen, China, Feb, 2013. Acceptance ratio: 28%.
- [OOPSLA'12] "Exploiting Inter-Sequence Correlations for Program Behavior Prediction", Bo Wu, Zhijia Zhao, Xipeng Shen, Yunlian Jiang, Yaoqing Gao, Raul Silvera, The 27th ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages and Applications, Tucson, Arizona, USA, Oct, 2012. Acceptance ratio: 25%.
- [PACT'12 poster] "Speculative Parallelization Needs Rigor: Probabilistic Analysis for Optimal Speculation of Finite State Machine Applications", Zhijia Zhao, Bo Wu, Xipeng Shen, The Twenty-first International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques, two-page poster paper, Minneapolis, MN, USA, Sep, 2012.
- [ICS'12] "One Stone Two Birds: Synchronization Relaxation and Redundancy Removal in GPU-CPU Translation", Ziyu Guo and Bo Wu and Xipeng Shen, ACM International Conference on Supercomputing, Venice, Italy, 2012. Acceptance ratio: 22%.
- [PACT'11] "Enhancing Data Locality for Dynamic Simulations through Asynchronous Data Transformations and Adaptive Control", Bo Wu, Eddy Zhang, Xipeng Shen, The Twentieth International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques, Galveston Island, Texas, USA, Oct, 2011. Acceptance ratio: 16% (36/221).
- [PACT'11 SRC] "Probabilistic Models towards Optimal Speculation of DFA Applications", Zhijia Zhao and Bo Wu, PACT 2011 ACM Student Research Competition, Galveston Island, Texas, USA, Oct, 2011. (Second place among 29 submissions.)
Other than computer science, I have broad interests in basketball (played as the starting guard for the school of information in CSU), music (play piano and guitar), philosophy (especially the comparison between western philosophy and ancient Chinese philosophy) and computer games (played in a counter-strike champion team in CSU).