Call for papers - Upcoming Special Issue in Geosciences entitled 'Metamorphic Geology and Phase Equilibrium Modeling in the 21st Century'.
Manuscript submission deadline: October 30th, 2017. Please see the following website for more information (LINK)
I completed my DPhil (PhD) at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Oxford, UK, in 2013, where I studied the thermal and structural evolution of parts of the Himalayan Range and Tibetan Plateau. Please see my Research and Publications sections for further information. I then worked as a lecturer and postdoctoral research fellow at the Institute of Geosciences, JGU Mainz, and am now an Assistant Professor of Metamorphic Geology at the Colorado School of Mines, USA. Please see my Teaching section for more information and my Links for additional material of interest.
I have been an invited reviewer for scientific articles submitted to the journals Nature Geoscience, Geology, Journal of Metamorphic Geology, Journal of Petrology, Lithos, Precambrian Research, Geological Journal, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, Tectonics, Tectonophysics, Geoscience Frontiers, and GSA Bulletin.
I am a current Fellow of the Geological Society of London, a Member of the Metamorphic Studies Group of the Geological Society of London, and a Member of the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain.
I have on-going collaborations with many researchers worldwide, including those at the University of Oxford, UK; the University of Cambridge, UK; the Geological Survey of Canada, Canada; the Johannes-Gutenberg University of Mainz, Germany; the University of Cape Town, South Africa; ETHZ, Switzerland; and the University of Melbourne, Australia (among others).
I am principally a metamorphic petrologist, but frequently integrate geochemistry, isotope geochronology, and structural geology into my work. My major research interests include (but are not limited to):
Process- or technique-oriented studies:
I have performed a number of field- and laboratory-based investigations on rocks from the Himalayan–Karakoram–Tibetan orogen that have produced quantitative models that have constrained the timing and nature of growth and deformation of parts of the Indian and Asian tectonic plates. These have included:
I have published several peer-reviewed scientific articles in ISI-indexed journals, which have been cited approximately 275 times. My h-index is 11. For full and up-to-date citation data, please refer to my Google Scholar profile. PDFs of my first-author 'Author Accepted Manuscripts' are available for download on my ResearchGate profile page, all of which comply with publisher sharing policies. Articles marked with a star (*) have been cited 10 times or more. IF = impact factor at time of publication.
Palin, R.M., Sayed, A.B., White, R.W., Mertz-Kraus, R. Origin and timing of deep-seated granulite-facies metabasic migmatites in the Barrow zones of Scotland: Insights from Cairn Leuchan, Glen Muick area.
 Palin, R.M., Reuber, G.S., White, R.W., Kaus, B.J.P., Weller, O.M., 2017. Subduction metamorphism in the Himalayan ultrahigh-pressure Tso Morari massif: an integrated geodynamic and petrological modelling approach. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 467, p. 108–119, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2017.03.029, IF = 4.326.
 White, R.W., Palin, R.M., Green, E.C.R., 2017. High-grade metamorphism and partial melting in Archaean composite grey gneiss complexes. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 35, p. 181–195, doi: 10.1111/jmg.12227, IF = 3.673.
 Palin, R.M., White, R.W., Green, E.C.R., 2016c. Partial melting of metabasic rocks and the generation of tonalitic–trondhjemitic–granodioritic (TTG) crust in the Archaean: constraints from phase equilibrium modelling. Precambrian Research, v. 287, p. 73–90, doi: 10.1016/j.precamres.2016.11.001, IF = 4.037.
 Palin, R.M., White, R.W., Green, E.C.R., Diener, J.F.A., Powell, R., Holland, T.J.B., 2016b. High-grade metamorphism and partial melting of basic and intermediate rocks. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 34, p. 871–892, doi: 10.1111/jmg.12212, IF = 3.673.
* Green, E.C.R., White, R.W., Diener, J.F.A., Powell, R., Holland, T.J.B., Palin, R.M., 2016. Activity–composition relations for the calculation of partial melting equilibria for metabasic rocks. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 34, p. 845–869, doi: 10.1111/jmg.12211, IF = 3.673.
 Weller, O.M., St-Onge, M.R., Rayner, N., Waters, D.J., Searle, M.P., Palin, R.M., 2016. U–Pb zircon geochronology and phase equilibria modelling of a mafic eclogite from the Sumdo complex of south-east Tibet: insights into prograde zircon growth and the assembly of the Tibetan plateau. Lithos, v. 262, p. 729–741, doi: 10.1016/j.lithos.2016.06.005, IF = 3.723.
* Palin, R.M., Weller, O.M., Waters, D.J., Dyck, B., 2016a. Quantifying geological uncertainty in metamorphic phase equilibria modelling; a Monte Carlo assessment and implications for tectonic interpretations. Geoscience Frontiers, v. 7, p. 591–607, doi: 10.1016/j.gsf.2015.08.005, IF = 1.216 [OPEN ACCESS]
* Palin, R.M., White, R.W., 2016. Emergence of blueschists on Earth linked to secular changes in oceanic crust composition. Nature Geoscience, v. 9, p. 60–64, doi: 10.1038/ngeo2605, IF = 11.740.
 Palin, R.M., Searle, M.P., St-Onge, M.R., Waters, D.J., Roberts, N.M.W., Horstwood, M.S.A., Parrish, R.R., Weller, O.M., 2015. Two-stage cooling and exhumation history of pelitic mylonite from the Dongjiu-Milin shear zone, northwest flank of the eastern Himalayan syntaxis. Gondwana Research, v. 28, p. 509–530, doi: 10.1016/j.gr.2014.07.009, IF = 8.122.
* Weller, O.M., St-Onge, M.R., Searle, M.P., Waters, D.J., Rayner, N., Chung, S.L., Palin, R.M., Chen, S., 2015. Quantifying the P–T–t conditions of north-south Lhasa terrane accretion: new insight into the pre-Himalayan architecture of the Tibetan plateau. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 33, p. 91–113, doi: 10.1111/jmg.12112, IF = 3.4.
* Palin, R.M., St-Onge, M.R., Waters, D.J., Searle, M.P., Dyck, B., 2014b. Phase equilibria modelling of retrograde amphibole and clinozoisite in mafic eclogite from the Tso Morari massif, northwest India: constraining the P–T–M(H2O) conditions of exhumation. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 32, p. 675–693, doi: 10.1111/jmg.12085, IF = 3.4.
* Palin, R.M., Searle, M.P., St-Onge, M.R., Waters, D.J., Roberts, N.M.W., Horstwood, M.S.A., Parrish, R.R., Weller, O.M., Chen, S., Yang, J., 2014a. Monazite geochronology and petrology of kyanite- and sillimanite-grade migmatites from the northwestern flank of the eastern Himalayan syntaxis. Gondwana Research, v. 26, p. 323–347, doi: 10.1016/j.gr.2013.06.022, IF = 7.396.
* Weller, O.M., St-Onge, M.R., Searle, M.P., Rayner, N., Waters, D.J., Chung, S.L., Palin, R.M., Lee, Y.H., Xu, X.W., 2013. Quantifying Barrovian metamorphism in the Danba Structural Culmination of eastern Tibet. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 31, p. 909–935, doi: 10.1111/jmg.12050, IF = 3.4.
* Palin, R.M., Searle, M.P., Morley, C.K., Charusiri, P., Horstwood, M.S.A., Roberts, N.M.W., 2013b. Timing of metamorphism of the Lansang gneiss and implications for motion along the Mae Ping (Wang Chao) strike-slip fault, Thailand. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, Charles Hutchison Memorial Volume, v. 76, p. 120–136, doi: 10.1016/j.jseaes.2013.01.021, IF = 2.379.
* St-Onge, M.R., Rayner, N., Palin, R.M., Searle, M.P., Waters, D.J., 2013. Integrated pressure–temperature–time constraints for the Tso Morari dome (NW India): Implications for the burial and exhumation path of UHP units in the western Himalaya. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 31, p. 469–504, doi: 10.1111/jmg.12030, IF = 2.99.
* Palin, R.M., Searle, M.P., Waters, D.J., Parrish, R.R., Roberts, N.M.W., Horstwood, M.S.A., Yeh, M.W., Chung, S.L., Anh, T.T., 2013a. A geochronological and petrological study of anatectic paragneiss and associated granite dykes from the Day Nui Con Voi metamorphic core complex, North Vietnam; constraints upon the timing of metamorphism within the Red River shear zone. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 31, p. 359–387, doi: 10.1111/jmg.12025, IF = 2.99.
* Palin, R.M., Searle, M.P., Waters, D.J., Horstwood, M.S.A., Parrish, R.R., 2012. Combined thermobarometry and geochronology of peraluminous metapelites from the Karakoram metamorphic complex, North Pakistan; New insight into the tectonothermal evolution of the Baltoro and Hunza regions. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, v. 30, p. 793–820, doi: 10.1111/j.1525-1314.2012.00999.x, IF = 3.148.
Detail coming soon!
GEOL525A: Principles of Metamorphic Geology
Study of metamorphic processes and products that occur on Earth at the micro- to the macro-scale. Areas of focus include (a) the nature of metamorphism in subduction zones and continental interiors, (b) the mechanisms and physico-chemical effects of fluid–rock and melt–rock interactions, (c) links between metamorphism and ore-forming processes, and (d) combining metamorphism with geochemistry, isotope geochronology, and structural geology to quantify the tectonothermal evolution of the lithosphere throughout space and time. Laboratory exercises emphasize the examination, identification, and interpretation of metamorphic minerals and microstructures in hand sample and down the microscope, and the calculation and application of thermodynamically constrained phase equilibria to describe and predict the pressure–temperature evolution of rocks and terranes.
Spring 2018 (upcoming)
GEGN498: Introduction to Plate Tectonics
Introduction to the theory of plate tectonics as a first-order framework with which the evolution of the Earth’s lithosphere may be described and understood. Key topics include the mechanisms of mountain building, crustal growth and destruction, volcanism and seismicity in intraplate and plate-margin settings, and secular changes in plate tectonic processes and products over geological time. Laboratory exercises will involve qualitative and quantitative analysis of geophysical, geochemical, geochronological, and petrological techniques that constrain the large-scale dynamics of the Earth.